By: Woolsey, Mary-Louise
At our Budget Committee meeting on January 31, 2017, we received a “pass out” from the Selectman Representative Ms. Barnes – entitled “IT ENVIRONMENT REVIEW REPORT” Portsmouth Computer Group For: Town of Hampton ( Town of Hampton IT Review – Audit – 2016).
Upon reviewing this report, which Messers. Jones & Pierce (the 2 members of the BudCom IT Subcommittee) have been asking for since last year by means of a UNANIMOUS vote of the BudCom members – I am APPALLED at the outcome.
The pages are not numbered, but 4 pages from the end you will see ADDITIONAL FEEDBACK FROM THE FIRE CHIEF Highlights:
- Internet down frequently
- Intranet down 2-3 times weekly
- Mapped drives off line frequently
- Email with file attachments (regardless of size) impossibly slow
- Email – spam is a HUGE problem – white listing ineffective and filtering is very bad
- Workstation profiles are inconsistent and inhibit workflow on multiuser machines
- Fire HQ to Beach Station is Microwave and is negatively affected by inclement weather – asked about Fiber/said a budget for 62k was presented
- Town lacking concept/vision
- IMC does not work good from the Beach FH – asked if the FD could use their own version of IMC – said that would be another 6k per year
- IT staff good – not proactive, always dealing with issues/reactive
- Paper work is being shuffled between users/departments/redundancy/errors/double entry process should be in place to share this info to be more efficient with each other and department
- Said he just went out and purchased a MFP at Staples – I don’t like this – Need to be in Alignment for the big picture _ Purchased a consumer based scanner/said he needed because he could not scan for 2 days
- WHAT ARE WE TAXPAYERS DOING? THIS IS THE HAMPTON FIRE DEPT. IN THE 21ST CENTURY!!
HOW IS THIS CHIEF SUPPOSED TO RUN HIS DEPARTMENT AND PROTECT ALL OF US IN THIS MOST CRITICAL FUNCTIONING DEPARTMENT IN TOWN??
A letter to you and the taxpayers will follow recapping the DPW section of this report. If the BudCom IT Committee had not lobbied for this information this would continue to be hidden.
We need to support Chief Ayotte and the Deputy Chief in providing the updated tools for this most critical Department.